I joined Kaia back in October 2017. It was strongly recommended by my college Professor who is a Kaia girl herself. I was really nervous about joining a new gym because well, it’s terrifying and the thought of starting at an all girls gym, made it even ten times more terrifying. I never got along well with girls. In fact, I usually avoided female friends because of all the drama that came with it. I have always been a tomboy so I never quite felt like I fit in with the girls I knew.
Anyways, first day of my trial happened to be on the first day of HELL WEEK. I showed up & the coaching leading the work out was in head to toe camo. Not going to lie, I seriously was like what the heck is this place…The workout was extremely challenging. I seriously thought I was going to be fine because when I scanned the room, the women in the room were a bit older than me so I figured, I would out perform them. Boy was I wrong. I remember at one point, I just sat there and thought to myself, I don’t know if I want to come back tomorrow. These women are so strong and I underestimated them. There I went comparing myself again which I shouldn’t have because it was my first day. Chillax, I’d catch up! After finishing my workout, a very sweet lady, Diana, told me she will see me tomorrow…not hopes to see me tomorrow, but she will see me tomorrow. Coach Johna walked me out the door and also told me to come back tomorrow, it will hurt but it will hurt less after the workout when I break up the lactic acid in my muscle. So I listened, and I showed up the next day and the next and so forth…then somehow became Kaia Queen & a proud Kaia girl. I also started making a ton of friends, who were woman, who were super supportive, and oh my god, I have girlfriends now, LOTS OF THEM…WHO AM I?!
Kaia became more than a gym for me. It became like a second home to me. I showed up every morning at 6am, crushed my workout and then felt like I accomplished something so big before my workday even started. It felt amazing. For the first time in my life, I was befriending a lot of females. But the strange thing was, they were not your normal girlfriends. These women were some of the kindest, strongest, motivating, and funny women I have ever been around. I never got to experience a woman cheering me on and mean it. I never had a woman get down on the floor with me and help me finish my workout even though she was finished with hers. I never had someone come back for me on a run because of the “no Kaia girl left behind” motto. I felt like I was apart of a community, a sisterhood, and most importantly, I finally had a place where I belonged. So how did Kaia change my life? Well there are a few amazing ways but I will start with a few…
- For once in my life, I did not find myself comparing myself to other women. I was being fully loved and appreciated for what size shoe, bra, pants, shirt I wore. I was rewired to believe that skinny isn’t sexy, strong is the new sexy. And when the Kaia girls talk about being strong, oh they mean it. Tire flipping strong.
- I quickly learned that there are enough mean girls in the world. Instead of being jealous of each other or watching people fail, it’s so much more fun cheering people on and helping them accomplish their goals. I have never clapped and cheer louder for another woman til I came to Kaia. I learned how to be happy for someone without being jealous of them. It’s their moment to shine, I’ll have my moment another time. It’s okay to be genuinely, whole heartedly happy for another person’s success & accomplishments.
- I found myself checking things off my bucket list because of Kaia. If you are lucky enough to have a couple pushy friends in your life, friends who push you in the right direction, hold them close. I remember I mentioned to one of the coaches that I have always wanted to run a half marathon but I didn’t think I could. Welp, sure enough, she put me in my place and asked me why the heck not? She pushed and pushed til I signed up for the Shamrock Half Marathon. Signing up was half of the battle. The training was the other half. Came race day, I finished & was able to check it of my bucket list all because I told Coach Heather, I wanted to run a half a marathon. Note to self: Don’t share your goals with Heather unless you plan on doing it ASAP LOL. I now know, anything is possible if you have the best cheerleaders on your side and of course, you set your mind to it.
- I gained a sisterhood. I made some of the best-est friendships in my life from Kaia. I leaned on these women more than I expected the last two years. They were there for the good times, the bad and even the roughest of days. But their love for me was unconditional and I will forever be grateful for that. They mean it when they say “No Kaia girl left behind”...whether it be in the gym or outside of the gym…they were always going to be there. This was a motto I took on to support other woman and relationships in my life as well.
- I learned how to have a better appreciation for my body. I valued my body and what it could do for me. Every time I felt insecure, I workout because feeling strong makes me feel confident!
These are just some of the ways I’ve grown as a person and woman with my time at Kaia. Although, I’ve been on a break, (a legit one, not the kind ROSS & Rachel were on), I still manage to practice these life lessons from Kaia. I even brought the energy to jiu jitsu. Right now, the big question is when do I plan on returning to Kaia and if I’m being honest, I don’t know. I truly believe everything in life happens for a reason, season or a lifetime. Kaia may have just been a season & reason in my life, but the friendships I’ve made will be a lifetime…well we will see about that lol. Check back in 10 years to see who is still around 😉 I do miss the people, sometimes the workout, but most the safe space to love my body. Overall, I love Kaia and will always be a Kaia girl because once a queen, always a queen.
If you haven’t tried Kaia Fit or if you’re curious, I strongly recommend giving it a try. It’s a truly magical place with beautiful, kind human beings that will change your life for the better. There are so many Kaia Fits in the Sacramento area. If you’re in Elk Grove, give it a try! Best coaches in the world I promise!